Going out to eat can add up quickly, I love take-out food, but I have learned that eating at home is definitely more cost-effective, that’s true if you are a single person or a large family. It is nice to go out as a family and not have to clean-up. It’s nice to go out on Date Night, but it is just as fun to cook at home for date night. It is fun to get the kids involved in the kitchen and cook together as a family. My oldest son has been taking cooking classes through his homeschool program and that has spurred us on to do a lot more cooking at home together. This easy Egg Roll and Crab Cream Cheese Wonton recipe is a great one to make as a family, easy to make and it does not require a lot of ingredients.
I made these Easy Egg Rolls and Crab Cream Cheese Wontons with my boys for dinner the other night. The boys had so much fun helping in the kitchen and I must say myself, dinner turned out amazing. We used ground pork for our egg rolls, but you could use ground chicken as well.
We used this amazing sauce from The Ginger People in both the recipe and for a dipping sauce, they are both so delicious. After tasting their Sweet Ginger Chili Sauce I want to put it on everything. The Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce is great on chicken skewers with bell peppers and red onions too. If you are looking for things to add to your menu rotation these are great ones to add.
This recipe made 20 egg rolls, talk about budget-friendly, when you go to a restaurant you can easily spend $12.50 for about 3 egg rolls (I’m thinking of the Cheesecake Factory’s Avocado Eggrolls), there’s 6 on the plate, but it’s 3 egg rolls cut in half am I right.
This egg roll recipe cost me about $10 to make, I fed my family of 6, invited my mom and sister over, and we had enough leftovers for my hubby and I for lunch the next day. You can see pictures on my blog at www.BlogAboutItAll.com
Easy Egg Roll Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ onion diced
- 3 cups of packaged Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Cups of Shredded Carrots
- 2 tablespoons of The Ginger People Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
- Egg Roll Wrappers (I used Twin Dragon a pack of 20)
- Sauté grated ginger, minced garlic and diced onion in vegetable oil until tender.
- Add pork and sauté until brown.
- Add Coleslaw blend and shredded carrots.
- Add 2 tablespoons of The Ginger People Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce and stir for about 5 minutes.
- To assemble lay egg roll wrapper so it looks like a diamond, on one corner add about 2 tablespoons of prepared filling, roll like a burrito tightly then fold over left and right sides and continue to roll, dampen edges with water to seal.
- Deep fry until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
These are heavenly with The Ginger People Sweet Ginger Chili Sauce for dipping.
Crab Cream Cheese Wontons
- Wonton Wrappers (I used Twin Dragon Brand)
- 8-ounce block of cream cheese
- 3-ounces imitation crab meat
- 1 tablespoon of The Ginger People Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
- Green Onions
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Chop the crab meat and some green onion.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese, chopped crab meat, chopped green onion and The Ginger People Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce.
Tip: Do not chop the crab meat too fine. I made these twice in the same week and the batch that had bigger chunks of crab were preferred by my taste testers.
You can assemble these a few different ways we tried two ways. Our first batch we placed a tablespoon of the mixture in the center and brought all four corners of the wonton wrapper to the top, sealed with water on all the edges. This style didn’t hold its shape as well and I didn’t feel the entire wonton cooked through, see the first picture below. The second batch we made we shaped more like a triangle, we laid the wonton wrapper shaped like a diamond, placed a tablespoon of the mixture in the center, but then folded the wonton wrapper in half and sealed the edges. I like the way these turned out much better (pictured below bottom two pictures).
For Dipping Sauce we used The Ginger People Sweet Ginger Chili Sauce, I couldn’t stop eating these, they are so yummy.
You can find these Ginger People sauces and other Ginger People products at Raley’s and Sprouts. Read more about The Ginger People products and find more recipes on their website.
Thank you for reading if you’ve enjoyed the content you’ve read above please share with your friends. www.BlogAboutItAll.com