Because the weather in Maryland is getting colder everyday, I like to heat my overnight oats a few seconds just to get the chill off, prior to adding my toppings. You can enjoy them warm or cold. This is an affordable, healthy breakfast option which provides protein, whole grains and fresh fruit to help you and your family kick start your day.
Below is the recipe for the base of overnight oats, I have been eating them about 5 months and I still use this base however, I use endless toppings.
Again, remember; There is no cooking at all!
- 1/3 cup rolled oats – Old Fashioned, don’t use Quick cook.
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup milk [depending on how thick you like it]
- 1/3 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 banana
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- Stir everything together in a jar or bowl.
- Place in fridge overnight.
- In the morning top with something crunchy and or fresh fruit.
***NOTE*** Overnight oats straight out of the fridge, will taste bland. I top my overnight oats with fruit, Fiber One Chocolate Cereal, almond butter (peanut butter works well also), syrup, and almonds. As I stated before, the toppings are endless.